Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Toxin

Today I ask the nurse why do they have to wear protective gear (robe, gloves, mask, googles) when giving chemo. She said it's because some chemo are very toxic and may burn the skin if touched with bare skin. That is also why when infusing chemo, they must make sure they check blood backflow to make sure the needle is in the vein, cos if the needle went out of place and into the flash, the chemo drug will burn the skin, causing infection

This kinda shocked me cos.... such a toxic drug and we are pumping packets of it into our veins. It's really gross and freaky when I think of it...
Not trying to discourage chemo here, just feel that if you ever have relatives that has terminal cancer and don't have much years to live, if the doctor give a go ahead for no chemo, do not encourage them for chemo. Such a powerful toxin going into your already weak body may not help in killing the cells, but might further deteriorate the body...

Just a thought.

4 Comments:

At 12:45 AM , Blogger Ee said...

hmmm never thot that it will be tat toxic but always tot wont it be faster to just DRINK it all up. but well during my SCT i did took alot of chemo drugs in PILL form, NASTY!!~ so still is easier infusing it into the blood stream ...

btw any celebrations planned?

 
At 1:43 AM , Blogger Fay said...

Not yet. but I am enjoying my "long holidays" at home before gg bk to work again *groan*

 
At 9:42 PM , Blogger Ee said...

After my SCT, i sooooo look forward to going back to work but I put on so much weight (6kg) and lost all the hair haha, so low morale. But after going back, the workload took too much toll on me. and company was not supportive, and wanted to cut my pay. after another year there I quit. thou my personal blog is private but I left shanicetan.blogspot.com open ...

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger munchiew said...

yah i had heard a lot about chemo before that it is basically poison...thats why it kills healthy and cancer cells..it's like a chemical nuclear bomb...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home