Sunday, October 07, 2007

Some things I found online

Found this here

Have not totally finish reading it, but just an extraction on what was said. The debate was whether the "wait and watch" method for CLL is good or is early treatment better for survival. It was said that CLL has no cure. The only cure is bone marrow transplant which was very high risk. So I am just waiting for a cure at this moment. So if I can live longer, there will be higher possibility that a cure can be found.

So here goes the extract:

Andrew:
I got an e-mail today from a physician in New Jersey who was recently shocked to find out he was diagnosed with CLL. While the question remains, “When should he have treatment? What should I do? Should I take green tea capsules?”

Dr. O’Brien:
What I tell people, unfortunately, is the good news and the bad news are the same. The good news and the bad news is that you don’t have to dramatically change your lifestyle or your diet or anything because there’s no data that doing any of that impacts outcomes. The bad news is that you don’t have a lot that you can do to impact the disease. Overall good health is important because if you’re in general good health, you have a better immune system whether you have leukemia or not, and you’re less likely to get infections. If and when you get to the point of needing chemotherapy, we know that patients who are in overall good health are much less likely to have complications with chemotherapy.

So maintaining a good healthy lifestyle is important, but there’s no data yet that show that not drinking coffee or drinking carrot juice or doing many things that people do impact outcomes.

Now, the green tea issue is very interesting. And Dr. Neil Kay at the Mayo Clinic has a protocol to try and look at the crucial element of green tea. I don’t have any objection to my patients taking green tea capsules, but the way I understand it from Dr. Kay is the amount of green tea that you would need is 25 cups of tea a day, and you’re not going to be able to get the amounts that in the laboratory have actually been shown to do something against CLL.

He has a very highly specialized formulation for that trial so that people aren’t taking 40 pills a day, and it becomes a reasonable question to investigate. But that trial is very early, so we don’t have any data from it yet.

4 Comments:

At 6:15 PM , Blogger koshiru said...

Hi,

I read your blog on and off and I did a little research, not alot, but my little sister used to have cancer and went through chemotherapy and all that, its already been more than 10 years and *touchwood* she's in good health. I asked my dad, what kind of supplement she was given during her chemo, he told me it was a natural chinese medicine, Polysaccharide Peptide (PSP) capsules (extracted from Yunzhi, a type of chinese mushroom), try to do more research on this, there's quite a number of medical studies on this and also you can check out the chinese medicinal halls/Eu Yang Sen etc.

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger Fay said...

Hi Koshiru, thks for ur comments. May I ask what cancer did your little sister had? Does she also have CLL? From what I know, CLL cannot be cured by chemo. Even though CLL is also a form of leukemia, it is a very different kind from the normal leukemia.

I had also been taking Lingzhi pills for 1 yr now (still taking). Not sure how useful it is. My chinese doc say lingzhi is not exactly useful, so I am not sure. I feel normal, just tt my lymph nodes r swelling.

Thanks for the info! And hope your sis will be in good health always!

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger koshiru said...

My sister had a rare kind of child cancer, Wilm's Tumour, was discovered when she was in Primary 2.

Sometimes, some stuff are not supported by medical studies but I strongly believe it works. A combination of western medication and eastern medication plus A LOT OF WILLPOWER and HOPE, will help. You may not see it in the short term but in the long run, it does without your knowledge. I mean the supplement works in your body in subtle ways combating the bad cells and that for sure you wont be able to feel it.

I think Lingzhi is different from Yunzhi. In bottled capsules, I believe it is called PSP.

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Fay said...

Hi Koshiru,

thanks for all the info. I am lookin into yunzhi now. I do believe that some stuff that is not supported by scientific research, but they work, like meditation and affirmation. The more holistic approach.

Thanks so much for the info!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home