Monday, June 09, 2008

Chemo effects vs getting drunk

You know how channel 8 always love to dramatised cancer patients and their whole treatment process? How they love to scare normal people that chemo is actually so super scary and what not?

But hey, I can tell you that chemo side effects are actually very similar to getting yourself drunk. In fact, for some people, getting drunk can actually feel a lot worse than getting chemo.

Main side effect of chemo includes vomitting. But the hospital will usually give you an anti-vomitting pre-medication first before giving you your wonderful pack of chemo water. For mine, it comes in pack of 100ml and 500ml. Wow, just like 1 bottle of yakult and lesser than a pint of hoegardden. The pubs you frequent definitely won't give you a vomitting pill before you starts drowning yourself out in alcohol, right?

Chemo side effects varies from person to person. For some, they dun always feel nauseous. In fact, when I got drunk, I feel 5 times worse than when I had my first dose of chemo. I can puked up to 3-4 times in a night, whereas I only vomitted once throughout my first cycle. And even though I did get a fever, I think I feel a lot worse when I was drunk.

So you know what? Chemo may not necessary be damn scary like shown on TV. In fact, pumping alcohol into your body gives you the similar, if not worse, effect as chemo!
So if you really think chemo side effects are scary, then you shld seriously consider quitting drinking.
Excessive drinking not only gives you a bad headache and a puking fest, it also embarrassed you in the public, makes your head spin, and gives you a bad hangover. Though alcohol does not make your hair drops, it does gives you an ugly beer belly. So drinkers, save your liver. Dun drink excessively.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Fayth,
Hahahah i cannot help but chuckle when I read this post of yours... How true...... though my chemo drugs during the previous times were at least erm.... more like a jug of Long Islands *laugh*
Oh yes, for me, the vomitting definitely was as bad as when I got drunk then *laugh*
Hugging the toilet seat is definitely no fun *laugh* just that for me the chemo thingy, meant i had bad hang over for a week.... But you are right... chemo is just that.... the crap in 881 *laugh* is over dramatised... thank you for this analogy HAHAH.... good ancedote for a Gloomy Wed morning :)

Love Fleur

 
At 11:09 PM , Blogger Fay said...

Haha, glad I made you laugh. i think you are the only reader in my blog now. In fact I think chemo remind me of the first few months of pregnancy too. I needa blog that down soon
Haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home